BBYO Program Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: BBYO/Day Camps
HOURS: Full Time (40 hours)
Who is that one person who changed your life? Do you want to be that person for others? If so, read on, because the Teen Department at the MJCCA is looking for awesome talent to join our team as BBYO Program Coordinator.
You: You love working with teens. You’re creative, quick on your feet and you like your job to change every day. You’re not the kind of person who wants to sit behind a desk. You have an infectious personality and you love getting others to join you in changing the world. You're a problem solver and you're good at juggling multiple priorities at once.
Us: Greater Atlanta Region of BBYO is a 90-year-old program in the Atlanta area and an integral part of the MJCCA’s Teen Department. The MJCCA Teen Department focuses on providing volunteer opportunities and skill-building classes for teens in middle school and high school. There are over 2500 teens in grades 6-12 involved in the MJCCA Teen Department with 950 high school age BBYO members. The BBYO Program Coordinator will work in partnership with the BBYO staff to oversee the programmatic standards that have been set for the 11 chapters, their leaders and the council leadership as well as conventions and city-wide programming. The BBYO Program Coordinator will participate in meetings and experiences sponsored by the MJCCA Teen Department as well as local and national BBYO and JCCA leadership programs.
The BBYO Program Coordinator is responsible for growing the BBYO movement in Atlanta by developing creative and meaningful programming for teens through community-wide engagement events, established AZA (boys) and BBG (girls) chapters, and collaboratively with partner agencies. The ultimate goals are to elevate the BBYO experience locally, enhance program content, and inspire more Jewish teens to take part in Jewish life – focusing primarily on males in grades 8-12. This staff person is a member of the Marcus Jewish Community of Atlanta’s staff team. Additional teen programs will be part of the portfolio. Additionally, this position will assist at MJCCA Day Camps from mid-April through mid-August.
The BBYO Program Coordinator’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
BBYO Logistics and Programming:
- Oversee all program and convention logistics which may include but not limited to booking event sites and transportation, maintaining attendance and rosters, pre-programmatic communication, submitting marketing materials and invoices for payment
- Train teen members as chapter leaders to run meetings, recruit new members, and ensure program excellence that attracts Jewish teens
- Build relationships with stakeholders, partner agencies and local family and alumni networks
- Develop and support implementation ofadditional regional activities at the direction of supervisor (conventions, dances, etc.).
- Manage and maintain all chapter bank accounts
- Foster meaningful relationships between and provide support for BBYO chapter advisors
- Represent BBYOand MJCCA at Jewish community events
- Assist chapters tofacilitate regular programming based on the principles of BBYO
- Attend chapter programming in coordination with chapter advisors (as needed)
- Work directly with the Jewish teen intown community in partnership with The Temple (and others as partnerships are created)
- Support the BBYO volunteer advisor program, including recruiting, interviewing, orientation, ongoing trainings and appreciation
- Administer 8th/9th grade recruitment process and placement of teens in chapters
- Oversee chapter boards including their communication to members/parents, elections, programming, and problem-solving chapter issues under the direction of the BBYO Director
- Develop relationships with other teen professional staff throughout Atlanta, as well as other community professionals who work with Jewish teens
- Recruit and manage staff to volunteer for BBYO conventions and events as scheduled
- Attend BBYO evening and weekend programs and supervise teens as needed.
- Serve as a MJCCA staff member which will include staffing teen programming and agency programs
- Attend BBYO Summer Programming (as needed and coordinated with MJCCA Day Camps)
Summer responsibilities will be based on previous experience and may include:
- MJCCA Teen Camps (rising grades 6-9) during summer weeks. Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- supervising counselors
- creating interactive and innovative training curriculum
- facilitating off-site trip logistics
- managing behavioral issues
- lead communication between camp and teens’ parents
- general camp coordinator responsibilities
What You’ll Learn in this Position:
- How to run a small business as you develop skills in budgeting, membership, marketing, sales, HR and event planning
- How to analyze and track data to drive decision making
- Global thinking as you work with an international team across organizational and geographical boundaries
- Influence and leadership insight as you inspire others to action
- Relationship building as you network with and travel to other JCC and BBYO communities